When it comes to seasons, Autumn is like my committed lover, but Spring is that mysterious someone who casts longing glances at me when my man is away on business. Naughty spring. The smell of freshly cut grass awakens my restless wanderlust from hibernation. My best writing takes place in the spring because I set Finge and The ‘Bug loose in the park and write for hours on end. It’s alfresco happy hours with my girls, while appreciating the fellas showing their various assets (biceps and deltoids and pecs, oh my!), set free from bulky sweaters and long sleeve shirts. How can you not love Spring? This Sunday we’re going to our first cookout of the season and I can’t WAIT. I’m searching for the perfect sangria recipe, so if you have one, please share.
So, here are ten reasons to love Spring:
1. Linen – Can you miss with this fabric? There’s something about it that looks crisp and fresh. Whether you’re male or female, a simple linen outfit with clean lines has the power to make you irresistable.
2. Picnics/Cookouts – I love the togetherness that eating outdoors fosters. Even when it’s nighttime, and you’re all huddled around citronella candles to escape bugs, it’s just the best. It’s relaxing, it’s familial, it’s perfect.
3. Wifebeaters – Okay, now, not everyone has the body for this garment, but if you do, it’s smokin. The Amethyst Rockstar (oh yes, she is in full effect) can not resist eyeballing a fine ass man in a wife beater. Yes…he might rob me, but I’ll be able to render a full report to the police, because I promise he has been thoroughly examined.
4. Rolling down your windows – I love wind in my hair. I love the feeling of being connected to what’s going on outside, catching snippets of bus stop gossip or other people’s music. I’ve spent all winter closed off from the cold, and in effect, other people, so by spring, I’m chomping at the bit to get in strangers’ business.
5. Spring Ale – Do I have to elaborate on this? Do I need a reason? Refreshing beer. Mmmmmmm! Maybe with a big fat orange slice in it. MMMMMMMMM!
6. Sandals – I loooooooooooove to let my feet breathe. I kind of hate confinement, and this REALLY applies for shoes.
7. Sundresses – One of the best creations ever. Theyre comfortable as can be and men go crazy for them. This is really win-win.
8. Weekend trips – It’s not quite summer, so the kids are still in school, but you can still get that quickie teaser getaway in. Leave out Friday night, and return late (late, late) Sunday night. Of course Monday, you’re tired as all hell, but it was totally worth it.
9. Fun school stuff – My kids’ school has all sorts of fun activites for the kids and families, including “Kids’ Night Out.” This is a night where you drop your kids off, they get them hopped up on popcorn, juice, video games and maybe crack, and you go about your damned business for like 3 hours. BEST. SHIT. EVER!
10. Events – Outdoor concerts, festivals, fairs…I’m kicking my feet out of sheer joy just thinking about it!
I’m already there, I’ve just got one question:
“Who’s comin’ with me? C’mon! WHO’S COMIN?!
JAN! THANK YOU JAN!!!”